Software Development

Turn up the volume!

LIGHTFORMS

('Lightforms' is best viewed on desktop browsers.
Not fully supported on mobile devices.)
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Lightforms (Fall 2013)
My current real-time simulation project, which you can see above, is an artificial life simulation. In the future, many different types of creatures with varying behaviors will exist in this environment. Each will have their own unique sounds and visual effects; their actions and interactions will create emergent behavior and an interesting generative audio/visual experience.

UPDATE: Due to performance issues and lack of adequate audio functionality in HTML5, I am currently investigating porting Lightforms to Java or possibly Unity. You can download the latest version in Java for your OS here:

PAST PROJECTS:
PhaseOut (Spring 2011)
PhaseOut is a 2.5D speed-running platformer with light puzzle mechanics. This was my first official game project at DigiPen. I worked with 3 other programmers to bring the project to a playable build (pre-alpha) by the end of the semester.

Responsibilities: 
I set up our initial engine framework and messaging system, wrote our A.I., physics, and audio systems, and also did most of the gameplay-related programming. In addition, I designed the game and all of the levels, and created all the art and audio assets for the game.

Space Mission (11/2010)
During my first semester at DigiPen, at the end of my Intro to Game Development class, I built a working 2D game engine from scratch. This was the result. It utilizes the Direct3D 9.0 API and has a component-based architecture for game objects.

Screenshot:

Download Link:

Combinatorial Game Engine (11/2011)
As a research project my academic AI class, I developed a framework for determining the winner in 2-player combinatorial games by having varying levels of AI play against each other. The algorithms I used were a simple "greedy" algorithm that chooses whichever move reduces their opponents options the most or avoids giving them a win when possible, and depth-limited alpha-beta pruning.

Escalator (summer/2009)
During the summer before my senior year of college, I attended a Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program at DePauw University. With the help of a faculty advisor, I worked with a small team of students to create a hybrid text-editor and IDE/interpreter for the Scala programming language. This software was then to be used for a programming class at the university.

Responsibilities: UI programming, software design, misc. other programming


(continue on next column)

Screenshots

Moonlight Sonata (7/2008 -- roughly 2.5 weeks of solid scripting/level design)
Using Enterbrain's RPG Maker VX, I created a traditional 2D turn-based role-playing game. Most gameplay features outside of what's already included with the base game were scripted instead of hard-coded due to time constraints.

Responsibilities: level design, event scripting, story, some artwork (basically, everything that I had time to do -- I didn't have time to tinker with the engine)

Known Issues: 
  • Scope of some levels is too large in relation to available screen real-estate
  • Too much dialogue
If you find any bugs during your playthrough, please let me know.

Download Link:
http://bit.ly/LPW6nx




SKILLS:

COMFORTABLE WITH...
  • C/C++ 
  • Java
  • Direct X
  • OpenGL
  • FMOD
  • Gameplay programming
  • 2D platformer design (mechanics, levels)
  • RPG Maker VX/XP 
    • Level design
    • Event scripting

WORKING ON...
  • Unity 2D
  • Java game development
  • JavaScript/HTML5
  • Game engine architecture

FAMILIAR WITH...
It's been a while, but I've also worked with the following languages.

Functional Languages:
  • Scala
  • ML
  • Lisp
Databases:
  • SQL
  • PHP (minimal knowledge)
Scripting Languages:
  • ActionScript 3.0
ċ
ValentinesDayRPGMakerVXProject.zip
(6292k)
Jeremy Kings,
Jul 19, 2010, 11:45 PM